Last night, Candice Glover and Kree Harrison fought it out as the last two contestants on this year’s edition of American Idol. And in all honesty, I missed the show and caught up with the performances after the fact. However, I suppose that might actually be a good thing because the judges didn’t have the possible ability to influence my take on each performance. Not that they usually do but this makes the whole thing even more pure in nature.
Here’s how I rank last night’s first performances:
1. Candice (Tie) - It started off slow but she did well in the chorus. Not bad.
1. Kree (Tie) – Slow and simple adding her own country twist good but not great.
Last night’s second performances:
1. Kree – Good tone, nice vocals, got to show off her range a bit, right in her wheelhouse.
2. Candice – Nice inflection in her voice. Strong and emotional, well done.
Last night’s third performances:
1. Candice – Showed off her amazing range in a touching and incredible performance.
2. Kree – Smooth flowing vocals and a beautiful sound overall. Amazing final note at the end.
Neither of the first performances was all that great. And that being the case, I’d have to call that round a tie. With each additional round, the performances got progressively better. Kree most likely took the second round with a song that just fit her better and a quality showing throughout. While Kree’s third and final song was outstanding and would have likely been the best of the night on most nights, the fact that Candice gave a second performance of her best song of the season won her the round.
Being that Candice went second in each round, I would have to say she has a bit of an advantage. This is especially true when it comes to her closing song. However, with the shocking elimination of Angie last week, if either contestant is likely to pick up her fans it would be Kree. Going into the night, I thought it would be an anti-climactic finish with the newest winner being Candice. However, I’m not so sure that it won’t be a lot close than people expect. Who knows what might happen.