Every year I look forward to rock week on American Idol. You never know how things might turn out. For some contestants, rock is certainly in their wheelhouse. For others, not so much. But all in all, it’s always interesting and entertaining.
Angie Miller singing “Bring Me To Life” during the Top 8 week on American Idol. Photo Courtesy of Hollywoodreporter.com
Here’s how I rank last night’s performances:
1. Angie – Perfect song choice, great fit for her. The singing was amazing and she continues to improve each and every week.
2. Amber – She shocked me last night. She showed off some excellent vocals and was really dead on. Almost definitely her best showing yet.
3. Candice – Powerful as always. This song was also a perfect fit. It seems like she can sing any genre.
4. Kree – Good song choice. Her power vocals and country sound meshed well with the rock style of Janis Joplin.
5. Lazaro – He also pleasantly surprised me. It was a tough song to sing but he got off to a good start and maintained that momentum throughout.
6. Janelle – Another good song choice. It was a nice vocal overall and brought out the fun and confidence in her.
7. Brunell – Good song but he was way out of his comfort zone. Not good but it could have been way worse.
1. Amber, Janelle and Kree – Simple and not flashy but not too bad overall.
2. Angie and Lazaro – Interesting pairing. I sort of expected a disaster but it turned out to be sort of OK.
3. Burnell and Candice – Candice did well with her bluesy, soulful side and Burnell was rather awkward when they sang the solo parts. It was really bad when they sang together.
Once again the ladies dominated the night. While I still find it hard to believe that all the guys will leave before a single girl, in all honesty that is probably what should happen. Before last night, I would have thought the girl in the most jeopardy would be Amber. And based on her entire body of work, that probably still holds true. But, based on last night alone, that certainly would not be the case.
All in all, the solo performances worked out well. The group ones are a different story. None of those came across as particularly impressive.
With only a few more weeks that the save is in play, I’m about 90% sure that the judges may use it tonight. I’m almost certain they will save any girl if one somehow happens to be at the bottom. They may also possibly save a guy if one lands in the bottom so as to keep the gender balance at least somewhat even.